Friday, April 6, 2007

Beer Blog Friday Number Two...

Here is my contribution to the 2nd Beer Blog Friday--my thanks to Alan at A Good Beer Blog for hosting the event this time around.

I decided to stay traditional and go with Westmalle Dubbel. This beer pours to a thick, marshmallow head that dissipates pretty quickly. The first scent is a crusty bread aroma with touches of peppery spicyness and dried fruit. Pretty well-balanced with sweetish raisin and spiced plum flavors. I have had this beer before, but I was still surprised by the somewhat aggressive carbonation that really makes for an interesting mouthfeel. It is medium-bodied and just a bit dry, but very drinkable. The clove and peppery spicyness peaks about halfway through the glass. I also found some very subtle banana and milk chocolate flavors. The Dubbel is not as complex as the Tripel, but it is still quite good. It leaves just the slightest bit of warming on the back of the throat. I could certainly drink another one right now. I give it a 4.3 out of 5.

No comments: