Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day to me...

Founders Brewing Co. Imperial Stout
Pairing up a Founder's Brewing Company Imperial Stout with some Taza Stone Ground 70% Cacao Chipotle Chili chocolate. Happy Valentine's Day to me. Do you have anything special on the beer menu tonight?

10.5 % abv. 90 IBU's  Pours ridiculously dark black with one of the darkest heads I have ever seen on a beer. Smells like what I can best describe as dark chocolate covered espresso beans. First sip is all coffee. Virtually no carbonation. Second sip is all coffee with a strong hop backbone. Third sip if followed quickly by a third, fourth, and fifth sip. I am definitely going to have to cellar a couple of these to see how they mellow. This is certainly a beer that grabs your attention. Full bodied with a syrupy but creamy mouthfeel. The dry, citrus hops begin to come forward about halfway through the glass. They use all kinds of malt in this beer and there are a variety of great flavors, from dark fruit to anise to even a touch of smokey oak. Amazing how long the flavors linger on the sides of the tongue and gums. How do you balance a 90 IBU hop bomb, you brew something with an amazing amount of malt. Mission accomplished on this one. Another great beer from Founders. Now if I can only get my hands on some Canadian Breakfast Stout.

No comments: