Friday, January 26, 2007

While I tell of YuleSmith treasure...

I just had a wonderful beer. YuleSmith Holiday Ale is the first beer I have tried from AleSmith Brewing Company in San Diego, CA. This beer was truly amazing. It is a Double India Pale Ale that looks, smells, and tastes absolutely fantastic. I gave it a whopping 4.7 out of 5 and if I had another bottle of this stuff, the rating might get higher. In fact, I think I will make a trip out to Julio's in Westborough, MA just to get another bottle to cellar for a couple of years - it has an incredible raw pine aroma - it may smell more like Christmas tree than any other beer seasonal brew I have tried. Here is my rating:

"8.5% abv - pours to a monster cauliflower head - lots of great Belgian lace - rich dark copper color - pure raw pine hop scent with a whiff of sweet caramel - slippery mouthfeel with a gentle tingle on the tip and sides of the tongue - dryish at finish - this beer smells more like Christmas tree than any other beer I have tasted - some sweetish dry fruit flavors try to help balance the bitterness - mild warming sensation from alcohol, but it is remarkable how well it is masked by the flavors of this beer - sweet caramel taste competes with the dry fruit sweetness at finish and really helps balance this beer off - it has plenty of hops, but it is not all hops - bottle fermented and superbly crafted - this is a tremendous double IPA - I wish I could get an air freshener that smelled like this beer, it smells so good - looks, smells, and tastes exceptional"

No comments: