Sunday, April 3, 2011

A beer that was worth the wait...

This one weighs in at 11.5% abv, but you would never know it. I cellared this for 5 long years, resisting the urge to pull it out of the cellar at least a few times. I had this on my daughter's first birthday. It pours a murky, unfiltered brown color and has a peaty oak aroma. You know this beer is different on the first sip. I has an viscous mouthfeel and a sweet, but not quite cloying maltyness. The wide range of flavors include raisin, oak, rum, honey, chocolate mousse, fig, caramel...the list goes on and on. Immediate warming on the back of the throat. This is a beer to be taken seriously. Some very mild citrusy hop flavors sneak through, but this one is really all malt. Wow, this beer is really delicious. The dark fruit flavors are amazing and it goes down so smoothly with virtually no alcohol esters at all. I am so glad I let this one sit for a while. I have to say that I am a huge fan of Lagavulin Whisky and this beer may not be for everybody. I am about halfway through at this point and the peat and caramel flavors are still dominant. This is one of the best beers I have tasted in a long, long time. Dare I say this beer is worthy of the celebration that I saved it for.

No comments: